Tuesday, February 19, 2008

HK Marathon 2008

16 Feb 2008 - Collection of race pack @ Victoria Park

Reach Victoria Park about 11am. Collected the race pack within 5 mins. All counter were manned by volunteers from the public & scouts association. Nothing to shout about the expo.

items in race pack.

run bib


17 Feb 2008 - Race Day

Woke up at 6am, drank a cup of coffee & a power bar for breakfast. Temperature was around 13 degree. Wore my running tee, cap & tights & set off to the starting point @ Tsim Sha Tsui.

Took a 8mins ride in the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui, some of the runners were already in the station doing their stretching & warm up. Uponn coming out of the MTR, took a slow walk to the bag deposit truck to deposit my baggage. All baggage have already been assign with the truck number, this is to ease the confusion later on.

Was trying on spot any sg runners in the crowd, didn't find anyone familiar :(. Did my own stretching & warm up a keep the body up & going.

Gather at the starting point at Nathan road at about 7.35am. Even though the road was split into 2 different section with different timing sector. No one was there to control the crowd, people was trying their best to move to the front. Hear the pipers sound, guess that the elite runners were taking up their position.

At 7.45am, bang, the gun sounded off. The marathon starts, runners raising their hands as they move past the starting point. People were moving fast & furious, while I took a time to get my body running. Didn't wanted to start too fast cos I didn't do any orientation run prior to the marathon so it would be my first time running under this condition. My aim was the complete the marathon.

The winds was strong, regretted didn't wear gloves to protect my fingers. Upon reaching West Kowloon Highway, decided to pick up my pace a bit, damn body still not warming up yet, engine still slow.

Hit the first tunnel Cheung Tsing Tunnel. Air wasn't that good in the tunnel but at else if offer some protection from the strong winds. After crossing the tunnel, next stop will be Tsing Ma Bridge, if the pollution wasn't that bad in HK, the view on the bridge would be breath taking but sadly the haze cover up its beauty. Took first power gel at the 15km. Winds on the bridge was even stronger, I pick up my pace even faster to warm up my body. Only upon reaching the u-turn on the other end of the bridge did my body finally warm up.

Next stop was Ting Kau Bridge, then it was the same way back Tsim Sha Tsui. Only on the way back, did I realise that he highway wasn't a flat, but with a bit of elevation. Can feel the strain on my knee caps, guess the landing on these ground is very different. Took second power gel at the 30km.

We ran towards the Western Harbour Tunnel to reach to the Hong Kong Island. As the same as Cheung Tsing Tunnel, air in the tunnel was bad. After 31km of the marathon, from this tunnel is where the real marathon starts cos from the tunnel onwards, all the slopes ahead will be a real challenge.

As I have already been told about the slopes ahead, I was mentally prepared to be torture. First slope towards Rumsey Street Flyover, cramps feels like setting in. At the same time, was feeling dehydrated plus I wasn't sweating as much, fearing for the worst I decided to slow down my pace & ran slowly towards the next water point to drink up.

Next was the Pedder Street underpass, imgaine running beside the vechicle in tunnel & breathing in all the fumes.............pui.....:(.

After the tunnel, was another slope up to Harcourt Road Flyover , when will the slope ENDS????

Finally past by Wanchai Sport Ground, in my mind was thinking that the slopes have ended. Boy was i wrong. There was one finally slope which was a killer, had a walk up cos need to conserve enegry for the final 2km.

After the slope, heading towards SOGO Causeway Bay. Can see a few coward cheering for the runners. Sad to say that most of the people were gathering near to the road side to cross the road & not the support us. Funny hearing the police using the loud hailer to inform the people that the road is close & they cannot cross till about 1pm plus.. it would be great movitation for all runners that the crowd there would cheer us on. It would be a definitely be a wonderful feeling.

Heading towards to finishing line @ 4hrs 18mins 50s (my watch). Gun time should be about 4hrs 19mins.

A PB for me :). Was happy to I was able complete the marathon, getting a PB was a bonus.

After completion of the marathon, we were given a finisher pack contains chocolate, banana, pear, a can of isotonic drink, sample of tiger balm rub & planet fitness face towel.

No finisher tee or medal.

Bag collection was a breeze, collected my bag within 1 min & return the chip.

Did my warm down & headed back to the hostel. The air in HK is bad, I was rubbing off the dirt from my face, duno how much dust or dirt did I breath in during the 4hrs :(

Don't think, will do the HK marathon again. But overall a nice first overseas marathon run for me.

Hear the gang did very well @ the Tokyo Marathon, Well done guys & gals.

Split Timing:

5km - 0hr 34m 22s
10km - 1hr 03m 08s
15km - 1hr 30m 26s
20km - 1hr 56m 42s
25km - 2hr 24m 56s
30km - 2hr 56m 54s
35km - 3hr 28m 00s
40km - 4hr 03m 35s
42km - 4hr 18m 50s

1 comment:

kops21 said...

u did well. Congratulation on the PB. Hong Kong is only good for 1 run IMO. There are many runs out there that are better.:)